The night is upon us!! Beyonce is going to be tearing up the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans tonight, with her Super Bowl, half-time extravaganza. So why the early post? Well, I wanted to let you guys know what I'm hoping we'll see from the entertainer on this momentous day!
But this is a blog, with the ability for people to comment turned on (yes, I can switch it off!), so I obviously want to hear about your expectations, too! So drop a comment, after you've read my top-five things I want to see from Beyonce's 2013 half-time show, below! We can compare them with the actuality tomorrow, after the show!
So let's get started:
- Live vocals. I don't even mind if B outsources some of her vocals to her backing singers (no, I'm not shading Kelly and Michelle here!) while she gets her groove on. But I really don't want to hear any semblance of a backing track, if for her sake only! The truth of the matter is, most people don't understand what the purpose a backing-track is, and only need to catch a glimmer of another Beyonce voice going on to start another Lip-syncing scandal. And Beyonce certainly doesn't need that.
Before we carry on, let's take a moment to remind ourselves of just how good that voice can be:
- DC Reunion. This is Beyonce's moment, but some of her best known hits occurred with her Destiny's Child sisters, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams. Therefore I'd love to see a DC medley, featuring a reunion of some sorts. This will be a tricky ask, considering the fifteen-minute window Beyonce has for the entire performance. So she'll have to weigh giving the other members a respectful amount of shine, while still keeping the show about herself. Tough task,but it would make the night super special.
- Dancing: But more so than just dancing- because we know she can do that- I want to see Beyonce rock some new choreography. There are signature moves that go with most of her biggest hits, and even I won't expect her to touch the Single Ladies routine, considering how much of a popular culture phenomenon that became. But the truth of that matter is, for all of us who watch a lot of Beyonce's performances, we've seen it all before. I'd LOVE to see Beyonce rocking some new moves-taken from other schools of dance- that don't boil down to shaking her booty and whipping her hair. A gross underestimation, I know, but it's a performance style that I'm not quite sure what to call. However, the folks over at Stan-Wars hilariously satirised it with this GIF:
Show us how you're like the great entertainers, Beyonce: demonstrate your versatility as a dancer.
- Sets/Fireworks/ General spectacle: We saw Madonna make sure 2012's Super Bowl half-time show was a visual extravaganza, with the inclusion of set changes, set pieces and a massive army of extras (including famous guest stars)! Well, Beyonce has the power to trump all of this because she can bring everything Madonna did BUT all done with the addition of a killer vocal!! If B can deliver the visual excess, and combine it with something like the show she put on at Glastonbury, then this 2013 half-time show will certainly be one to remember.
- Surprise us! I'm not talking a baby bump, or new music type surprise. Nor am I speaking of the career-ending kind Ms Janet gave in 2004. Give us something we totally didn't see coming, and something that'll have us talking about this Super Bowl show from here until eternity. It's easy for me to ask for something so vague, and awesome, but I'm not the entertainer with a team of creative individuals working for them! Whatever you do, though, we all understand everything has already been done, but even still, TRY to keep it as original as possible.
Whatever happens, I'm wishing you luck, Beyonce!! I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation!
But what about you guys? What do YOU want/expect from Beyonce's half-time show? Let me know, below!